What instantly comes to mind when we mention the word 'salad'?
Yummy, nutritious, refreshing meal? Or 'pffft... salad's only for rabbits'.
Here at SFTW we LOVE a salad. But not just any old salad. In order for a salad to be worthy of gracing your plate it should be:
FULL of flavour
Most people throw a couple of tomatoes and lettuce leaves on a plate and think that is what a salad is all about, in that case we're not surprised the idea of one is so unappealing to them!
The best way to build a salad is to start with the basics and go from there.
- Choose your leaves of choice – Spinach, Kale, Leafy Greens and more- choices are endless here.
- Then choose the fillers – Tomatoes (sundried, sundrenched or fresh) Peppers (which colour/s) Mushrooms (shiitake, chestnut, oyster etc) More Greens (cucumber, asparagus, beans), Beetroot and so on!
- Healthy fats and Proteins (Avocado, Seeds, Nuts, Eggs, Oils, Quinoa, Chickpeas, Lentils)
- Root Vegetables (Butternut, Sweet Potato, Yams, Carrots)
A salad should be full of vitality, colours, minerals, and tempting to your palate! If you're stuck for inspiration, why not try this recipe out...
GREEK LAMB SALAD
• 1 palm sized lamb steak (cooked)
• 1 tomato
• 1/4 cucumber
• 1 thumb sized portion of feta and/or olives (half thumb of each)
• Pinch mint leaves
• Squeeze of lemon juice
• Sprinkle of dried oregano
1. Mix the oregano, lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt in a bowl and season well with ground black pepper. Add the chopped lamb steak and marinate for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, feta/olives to the lamb and toss lightly. Scatter with the mint leaves and serve.
What's your favourite summer salad recipe? Feel free to share!